Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blackened Tilapia and Liz's Salad

Last night's dinner was so good. If you didn't read yesterday's post, Ben and I had:
-Blackened tilapia filets
-Sauteed squash and zucchini and
-Liz's salad

In the past, I have tried cooking tilapia in a skillet, but it never works out the way I planned. Always a little too wet from the oil and not flaky enough for me. This time, I wanted to try it in the oven.

I poured some Zatarain's Blackening Seasoning in a gallon size ziploc bag. Next I put 2 pieces of fish in the bag and shook it around until each filet was coated with the seasoning on the outside. (Next time I won't coat the fish quite so much. It was a little on the spicy side for us.) I greased a cookie sheet with a little bit of olive oil. I then placed the coated fish on the cookie sheet to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes. Next I covered the sheet with aluminum foil and cooked the fish on 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Lastly I uncovered the fish and moved the oven rack to the top and cooked on broil for approx. 7 minutes.
And VOILA! The fish was cooked perfectly- Flaky and delicious.


Ben sauteed the veggies. He just used a little bit of olive oil and garlic pepper.

The recipe for Liz's salad was given to me by my cousin Whitney. At first, I wasn't sure if the flavors would go well with the blackened tilapia, but this salad's sweet refreshing taste was exactly what we needed to go with that spicy fish.



Here's the recipe for Liz's Salad:
-1 head or 2 bags romaine lettuce
-8 oz grated swiss cheese (I found a bag of shredded swiss at Kroger)
-1 apple peeled and chopped (I used a pink lady apple)
-1 pear peeled and chopped
-1 1/2 cup cashews
-1 1/2 cup Craisins

Poppy seed  Dressing:
-1/2 cup sugar or Splenda (I used Splenda)
-1/3 cup lemon juice (I used freshly squeezed)
-2 teaspoons grated onion
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
-2/3 cup Canola oil
-1 Tablespoon poppy seeds

Please let me know if you have any great healthy recipes you would like to share. I would love any suggestions :)

No comments:

Post a Comment